Zoo Ridge weekend outing
May 17-19, 2019 All day
Zoo Ridge is one of the least known but most spectacular areas for rock formations in the Southern Cederberg. It is on privately owned land and is called Zoo Ridge as ones imagination is the only limitation to the number of animals one can see in the rock formations. The rock formations cover a huge area and would take many days to explore but one has to start somewhere!
Access to Zoo Ridge is strictly controlled to keep the area pristine and to protect the many rock paintings so access is only given to people / groups that book out the farm house. There is a rough sand track that goes up onto the ridge that is only accessible on foot or with 4 wheel drive vehicles. Naturally we are using the latter! (The farmer tells me that the sand tracks are getting rutted and washed out in places so may be an interesting drive!) There is about 20Km of tracks on the ridge to explore.
The sand road / tracks cover a large area but one will need to get out and explore on foot to really get a taste of what is on offer and good hiking shoes are recommended.
There is a short video on the area at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znkU6LF-mdQ (Don’t ask me who the woman is lifting her shirt! Don’t know them!)
This big old farmhouse has 6 bedrooms and sleeps 18 people.
Room 1 – 2 x single beds
Room 2 – 1 single bed + 1 double bed
Room 3 – 1 double bed + 2 x single beds
Room 4 – 1 double bed
Room 5 – 4 x single beds
Room 6 – 1 double bed + 1 single bed
We are welcome to move beds around as needed.
There are also 2 bathrooms.
• In the sitting room is a fireplace and in the kitchen there is a nice wood stove as well. Bedding and towels is included and there are pots, pans, plates, glasses, etc. You only need to bring your food. (2x fridges, electric stove and microwave)
• There is a very pleasant braai area that can handle large groups.
• There is a short video of the house at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sp9hYJhBss
• Should you prefer to sleep in your tent or rooftop tent, we have permission to do so and there is sufficient space around the house.
• This is a very reasonable R1200 for the first 6 persons and then R150 per person extra per night.
• Once we have the head count, we will split up the cost equally.
• There is no additional cost to access the farm and the area where the rock formations are.
Zoo Ridge and the farmhouse is in the southern Cederberg about 20 Km north of the turnoff to Katbakkies pass on the back road into the Cederberg. Details will be sent to those booking.
For me to confirm our booking, I need to know who is going and the number of people by no later than Wednesday the 20th of February. (We may need to pay a deposit to secure our booking.)
If you enjoy using your 4x4 to access off the beaten track areas and enjoy exploring, this outing is right up your street!